I don’t know about all of you, but sometimes my life can feel like utter chaos. It is not uncommon in our society to be rushing around from one thing to the next trying to meet deadlines, get to meetings, take care of family and ourselves, etc., etc., etc.
All this madness can get your mind racing and before you know it, you are feeling overwhelmed and just want to find a good hiding place (blanket fort anyone!) to get some peace and quiet! Of course, that is not realistic for most of us as we navigate our days.
So, what did I do to help bring some moments of peace and happiness to my days? As cliché as it may be, that’s where I have learned it helps to slow down for just a moment to enjoy those little things that make you happy. These could be anything from noticing the calming sound of a breeze through the trees to that first sip of warm coffee in the morning…whatever lifts your spirits and helps you to be in the moment.
Here are a few of my favorite little things:
- The sound of the breeze blowing through the trees.
- That first sip of warm coffee in the morning.
- The smell of fresh cut grass in the early summer.
- The comfort of warm water as I wash my hands.
- Hearing the laughter of my child, and listening to her play.
- The happy greeting I get from my dog when I come home.
- A big hug from my wonderful husband, so comforting.
- Walking through the front door of my home at the end of a long day. Home sweet home!
What are some of your favorite little things? What do you do to find moments of joy throughout the day, and re-center yourself? I would love to hear some of your insights in the comments.