It’s no secret that arts and crafts have been gaining popularity as a way to have fun and relax. You can color in an adult coloring book, learn a new craft, or even go to a painting class with a friend where you can bring your own wine!
What is all the excitement about? Is it just hype? Is coloring as an adult really a good idea, or is coloring just for kids? Nope, it’s not just for kids, and it’s not all hype. Which is good news for those of you who love art!
5 Reasons Arts and Crafts will Change Your Life!
- Have Fun! Who doesn’t like the feel of new clay, coloring something beautiful, or making something pretty to decorate your house?
- Reduce your Stress and Anxiety – Arts and Crafts promote mindfulness. The reason for this is you are focusing your attention on a specific task, and this allows your mind to break free of racing thoughts. Ahhh, relief!
- Get a Confidence Boost – working to create something and seeing the completed project can give you a sense of accomplishment.
- Inexpensive Hobby – you can buy craft supplies, adult coloring books, markers, colored pencils, sketch diaries, etc. for very little money at many stores. You could make a lot of masterpieces with these!
- Keeps your mind active – a new hobby will require you to learn new skills and practice using them to create your works of art.
Go ahead and unleash your creativity! It could be as simple as coloring in an adult coloring book (or kids if you like, no judgement here:)), or as complex as learning how to draw people.
What Kind of Arts and Crafts?
Let’s get Creative and Have Fun!
If you are wondering the best way to do this, I have good news. There is no way you can go wrong with your creations! You will reap the benefits no matter what type of arts and/or crafts you try, and it doesn’t matter if you are perfect. You don’t even have to show anyone if you don’t want to! Alternatively, if you create a masterpiece you want to share, I say go for it!
I created a list of ideas to get you started. The choice is truly yours! Enjoy, relax, learn a new skill, and see what happens. You just might surprise yourself!
Ideas to get you Started
Adult Coloring Books – Available at many stores in various price ranges, or you can search online for free printable coloring pages.
Sketching – what could be easier? Grab a pencil and a piece of paper to get started. If you want some guidance on how to draw, there are lots of good instructional books out there (I really liked “Drawing for Dummies”, or you can search for free tutorials online.
Painting – Grab a paint brush, paint, and a piece of paper or a canvas and have fun. There are many types of paint and painting techniques to learn and try for yourself, or use a paint by number set if you want something super simple.
Crafting – this is a great time to try your hand at crafting! Use the approaching holidays as inspiration for some awesome projects.
Crocheting, Quilting, Knitting, Sewing – learn new skills and make something practical like a blanket or scarf.
Photography – You could take pictures using your phone or a camera on any subject matter you can imagine. Then put your favorites in a frame you decorated, a Christmas ornament, or use them in a scrap booking project.
Pottery – make your own pottery out of clay and paint it, or paint and decorate an old flower pot (or buy a new one at a craft store).
Jewelry Making – You can purchase jewelry making beads, stones, clasps, earring hooks, and even pre-made sets of supplies at almost any store that sells crafting supplies.
Are you Ready?
Go forth and enjoy creating your masterpieces!
You may want to try everything on this list, or just a couple of things. Everyone has different interests and that is okay! The whole purpose is to bring some relaxation and peace to your life!
If you have a favorite hobby or project ideas for arts and crafts, let us know in the comments! We would love to hear your tips and ideas! Take care, and have fun 🙂