We are always hearing about how important daily physical activity is to stay healthy. Many people struggle to follow this advice even if they really want to. Why? There are many reasons why, but I believe the two main reasons are finding the time, and not knowing ways to make exercise fun.
To be honest, I am one of these people who struggled to find the time and stay motivated. I just didn’t find exercise fun, and I was tired all the time from the daily grind. So, how did I overcome this problem? I had to find ways to make exercise fun so it would be something to look forward to, not a chore. We are all more likely to make time for something we enjoy, and this increases your chance of being successful. I want to help motivate you the same way!
Let’s get Moving
30+ Fun Ways to Exercise!
- Do you remember being a kid, and playing outside? How much fun was that? You can still enjoy many of the activities you did as a kid! Go for a bike ride, play tennis, shoot hoops, play soccer or go swimming. As a bonus, you will also get some fresh air and sunshine while doing these activities!
- Not interested in playing sports? No Problem! You could also get outside and walk the dog, work in the garden, or go for a hike.
- Childhood games bring back some good memories, and who says these are just for kids! Try jump roping, jumping on a trampoline, or give the hula hoop a try.
- Dancing is a lot of fun, and can be done just about anywhere! You could turn the music up at home and dance around your living room, take a class and learn with others, or go out dancing with your friends!
- Catch up on your favorite Podcast, listen to a book on tape, or listen to your favorite workout music while walking, jogging, running, or using exercise equipment such as the treadmill or elliptical. I love to listen to Podcast’s while exercising solo!
- Want to catch up on your fave TV shows or movies after work? Instead of plopping on the couch, head to the gym (or your equipment at home) and watch while you run the treadmill or ride the exercise bike.
- Work out with a friend for fun and to hold yourself accountable! Cheer each other on to keep doing your best, and pushing to get better! You could even add some friendly competition to keep things interesting.
- Try something new like rollerskating or volunteer to help with a community clean up.
- If you are really feeling adventurous and motivated, sign up for a civilian boot camp. I hear they will whip you into shape in no time!
- Yoga is a great way to relieve stress, and build strength and flexibility. You could join a class, or follow along with an instructional video at home!
- Try joining a class such as Zumba or Spinning. Sometimes it’s fun to sweat it out with others!
- Did you know housework also counts? That’s right! Mopping floors, vacuuming, and tidying up can all count!
- Use a device such as a Fitbit or your phone to count your daily steps. Set step goals for yourself, and pat yourself on the back when you meet them.
- Go Rock Climbing – it is fun, and an excellent way to strengthen your arms.
- Play video games that get you off the couch, such as Wii Fit or a dance game.
Make sure to change up the activities periodically to keep it from getting boring! As always, have fun and please feel free to leave a comment with any questions or your favorite ways to get exercise!